POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Clipped_by slows rendering time : Re: Re: Clipped_by slows rendering time Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:25:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Re: Clipped_by slows rendering time
From: Henning Stahlberg
Date: 23 Jan 2001 05:07:32
Message: <3A6D57E3.F19A6457@unibas.ch>
Thanks Ken.

I cannot reduce the number of triangles my scenery is composed of.
The biological molecule is that complicated, and the electron-microscopical

3D structure of that membrane-protein should be scientifically visualized
without simplifications or alterations.

I used now a
Pre_Frame_Commmand = my_clip %k
and clip the set of triangles outside of POVray. This works, and I can
calculate again
a frame in a few minutes.

BUT: Why is this faster than POVray can do ?
Is it that POVray is clipping the whole 3D scenery for every pixel/ray all
over again ?

Wouldn't it be much faster to once clip the 3D scenery while reading the
scene,
and then do the raytracing without further clipping calculations ?

Or is there a kind of Preprocessor incorporated into POVray ?

Yours, Henning.